Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shukrani Beads

Miles IBC company is up and running! For those that don't go to BYU-Idaho, IBC is the Integrated Business Core program in which a group of students create a company for the semester. They formulate an idea, propose their idea to the professors and other students, write the business plan, market and sell their product, and probably tons of other things that go in to the process that people don't see. Their business is called Shukrani Beads.
In Uganda Shukrani means thanks, gratitude, and appreciation. But in a country ravished by war and poverty many people try to survive on less than $1 a day, life in Uganda doesn't always leave much to be grateful for. They live in extreme conditions of poverty, finding work where they can. But the Uganda women have a special talent for turning recycled paper into beautiful beads. Shukrani Beads purchases their beads from a company called Beads for Life. Shukrani assembles special hand crafted jewelry that is making a difference for all that are involved. Each product is unique and offers a special opportunity for both the bead maker and the consumer.
You can check out their stuff on their facebook page: www.facebook.com/Shukranibeads But here are some of my favorite pictures. I especially LOVE the first necklace. I'll probably own 3 or 4 by the end of the semester because they are so cute! And I love the second picture because those are my hands! I feel a special part of the project, and they used that picture on their booth!






And here's a video clip on Beads for Life, their bead supplier.


They are selling their product in the MC and the Clark during the week, but if you see something you're interested in and don't live in the area let me know and we can work something out!

3 comments:

  1. ok i like the bracelets in the last picture.. let me know how much one is and ill send u the $

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. Thats the best IBC I have seen. Mike and I might be coming up to rexburg in a few weeks. WE are going to SLC and if the weather permits we will drive on up to rexburg. I want to see you two if we come up. I will definitely buy some beads too.

    ReplyDelete